Remember the scene in the graduate when Dustin Hoffman is floating in the pool and this aggressive guy at the party just says, "Benjamin, I just want to say one word to you. PLASTIC?"
Well, I do. That scene resonated with me. I remember when I graduated from college how much pressure I felt. Deer in the headlights does not even begin to describe my panic. I remember all the well meaning people that hinted, or just came right out and asked, "What are your next steps?". When I absolutely had no clue.
What a painful time it was, and it came flooding back to me like a tsunami when my visiting daughter broke down into tears yesterday. I found her on her bed, cruising social media and keeping tabs on fellow graduating friends and their prospective jobs or internships post graduation. After convincing her to unplug, take a walk with me, and convincing her that this is a BIG time for uncertainty for graduates we headed downstairs for that walk.
I realized I had no fix for this one, and I would just simply smile and hold my breath.

Having a stepson who is about to graduate college with no solid plans, this post really resonated with me! Smile and hold my breath sounds like a good plan. Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI, too, completely struggled to just make a decision. I knew I wanted to be a teacher, but I didn't want to commit to a profession that made it seem like I was copying my superstar educator mom! LOL. Your plan is solid; having mom's support changes everything for the better. :)
ReplyDeleteYour title "Life is hard" drew me in. And then to read how hard it is from the perspective of a mom was the icing on the cake. Indeed it is! Going for a walk was a great idea. Sounds like you handled it all so well.Hope something pops up soon!
ReplyDeleteYes! The uncertainty is overwhelming, especially now when the job market is so grim. All we can do is listen, know that we raised resilient kids, and be supportive. Parenting is hard, right?!?
ReplyDelete