It was one of my hardest years for sure. How did I know? Well, I went from cooperative groups to single rows many times, and finally surrendered to rows early spring. Also, I think the action of putting away my flexible seating options was a dead give away. There were so many disabilities, language issues, environment gaps, and even literacy gaps that directly hindered my students' ability to learn.
The read alouds were always the best remedy. I remember one particular afternoon all of sitting on our class rug I had just finished Temple Grandin's fabulous biography. As I closed the book, a student piped up, " 'That's what I have," he smiled proudly. "I have autism. " There was an awkward silence. I cringed. Then, "My brother does, too" another volunteered from somewhere in the back. Then gradually they all began to talk all at once. Each sharing either their own experiences w/autism, or even other disabilities. As the the book rested on my knees, I just had to smile. Truthfully? I wished I could simply do read alouds all day, but today I would not be so greedy. I leaned forward and listened in quiet appreciation.

This slice is the embodiment of Rudine Simms-Bishop’s “windows, mirrors, and sliding glass doors.” It’s a wonderful story.
ReplyDeleteWow. How powerful the right story can be! Thank you for sharing l.
ReplyDelete