Tuesday, March 2, 2021

No More Cheeks

    My uncle died early Sunday morning.  My cousin texted me Friday that they had upped his morphine, and he wasn't eating.  His seven progeny had each visited, taking turns, after their CovId tests, and said their good-byes to their father.

     Our separation was not only medical but also a geographical one. I lived almost 3,000 miles away.  I  had only reconnected with him when my own father had passed.  Yet, in the past 18 years I had visited almost annually- initially dragging my toddlers, and eventually sullen teenagers to have lunch with the kind, gentle man.

   Every time I visited my uncle and aunt they always filled me on my seven cousins, their lives, their children, even their grandchildren and for a second I felt a part of their tight family unit.

   I held my phone in my hand that morning and knew I could not support my cousins in their grief, nor could I pay my respects, and share my love for this man who lived so far away.  I understood, and accepted the science but nonetheless I felt helpless. Although this was an all too common and familiar feeling this pandemic I found myself hoping that my grandparents would forgive me.

4 comments:

  1. Grief impacts us all in different ways, and during this pandemic, it may be even harder for some to forgive themselves. I lost my father a little over a year ago and it's never easy when I think about him throughout each day. I hope you are able to find comfort in the memories, and stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My condolences to you and your family. I’m very close to family who live far away and have missed many funerals and wakes because of it. Geographical distance is hard during times of loss. Sending you peace and light during this time of sorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morna, I am so sorry for your loss. Your uncle sounds like a wonderful man. How wonderful you were able to find regular times to visit across these many years. I'm guessing your uncle appreciated this time as well. This pandemic has been hard in so many ways. One of the hardest is not to be able to pay tribute to the people whom we love so much. It's been so hard for so many. 3,000 miles would surely be a complicated task. Despite the 3,000 miles, I'm sure your cousins know you are with them in so many ways right now.

    ReplyDelete