Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Winnie

 


    My daughter Emma has a mysterious attachment to Winnie the Pooh that simply cannot be explained.  She has been in love with that character since birth.  From preschool (wouldn't leave the Little Tykes Pooh car on the playground) to even sleeping with a Mattel hard plastic figure clenched in her hand- this girl thought she had been born, and kidnapped, from the Hundred Acre Wood.

   And so it was almost instinctual that when I passed her Cheerios, while I was driving my minivan, that she would naturally scoop them out my outstretched hand like, "Pooh scooping honey."

   Even now, at 21, she will sometimes oblige her needy mother in the car, and still pretend to scoop out of my hand.  And then I can pretend, too.

2 comments:

  1. So many songs running through my mind now. This line, "this girl thought she had been born, and kidnapped, from the Hundred Acre Wood" has me chuckling. I wonder if she has ever written herself into the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this memory. It's amazing how such a little phrase can continue to fill us with emotions years later.

    ReplyDelete