Monday, March 29, 2021

Sweet Memories

 

 I planted these bushes the year my Dad died.  Now every spring the star jasmine comes in full force and I never fail to remember him just for a minute second, as I hurry by and take in the sweet heady smell.

    As a child we walked the red, orange and crimson lined streets in West Lafayette, Indiana at dusk. We looked forward to these walks. We would follow just a few steps behind as my father pointed out, and correctly identified, each plant, rock and tree.  My sister and I tried very hard to feign interest, but truthfully our thoughts were really more preoccupied with what kind of Dilly bar would we choose at the end of our walks.  Dairy Queen was always our destination at the end of our twilight strolls.

   I think my Dad would like his hedge.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure he would. This is such a sweet slice and your hedge is a lovely way to remember your father and those childhood strolls.

    ReplyDelete