Sometimes, while on the phone with my college senior who is discoursing a mile a minute, I sit back and wonder, "Wait a second! Just how did we get here, again?"
As I fondly reflect on all the stages up to college I just have to smile at the parallels.
- Nightmares/ Late night calls
- Painful friendship triangles/ Bad boyfriends
- Friendship help/ Tersely advised to not comment
- Wardrobe advice sought, and regular clothing purchases requested/ Clothing returns
- Illness/Medical advice sought, but never taken
- Late night talks, and back rubs/phone communication occurs only when prompted
* Major disclaimer: Would not have it ANY other way
How clever to see these parallels! There is something very comforting about the idea that we have traveled down this road before...we are still needed just in different ways, and when the young adult initiates it. I have a daughter of a similar age. Must say, I don't like the late night calls and the bad boyfriends too much!
ReplyDelete