My father was a character. There is no way to sugar coat it. When I was little I SO wanted him to be like other dads. I would have KILLED to have him dress, talk, behave and/or drive with a just a semblance of normalcy.
Alas, it was not to be. EVER.
I saw a friend's post recently remembering her father on his birthday. She mentioned they shared a love of classic rock n roll, and sexy cars.
I randomly thought of what my father and I both shared. My father and I shared a love of art, classic literature, classic and modern films, a passion for the environment, and questioning everything.
Not too shabby for someone who answered our front door in his boxers.
I'm still struggling with that one, folks.
I smiled at the thought of the door, the man, the boxers. That brought back a memory. I wish I’d had those common interests w/ my mother. I’ve often told people my family put the “fun” in dysfunctional before Oprah made it popular.
ReplyDeleteI understand completely. My father was not a character, but I have several immediate family members who fit the same category as your dad!
ReplyDelete