This is my Aunt Nette. Her given name is Jeanette Stanford Blair. She was born, and raised on Stanford Farm in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. Rumor has it that she was tough as nails, called 'em as she saw 'em, yet at the same time was both tender and practical. I won't even go into what she said to my father when he got out of line. Which was often- but that's for another time.
I was told that she went off on a train to marry her husband, and came back barely six months later. She never spoke of the matter again, and neither did anyone else. She returned to help out on the old homestead, and take care of her younger brothers, and sisters She continued to take care of family matters, and run the farm for the next sixty years until her passing.

I enjoyed this quick slice about your Aunt Nette. There are so many quirky parts about our lives that are a blip in the big picture of it all, and this slice quickly highlights a few.
ReplyDeleteThis succinct piece says a lot. Good for her to come back. I can imagine a lot of good reasons for her to decide not to stay. And yet, it seems she never felt free to marry again, perhaps she never even got a divorce. Perhaps she felt fulfilled in her life, perhaps not. Your Aunt Nette could be the start of a screenplay…
ReplyDeleteWow - I love these family stories that we all have - but often don't explore much beyond the basics. I have so many questions, but your title wraps it all up!
ReplyDeleteClearly your Aunt Netti has grabbed your interest. Maybe a novel about this woman in your future???? It's amazing how strong women can be.
ReplyDeleteWhat a pleasure to get this glimpse into your aunt Nette's life. She sounds like such a strong, interesting character!
ReplyDelete