If anyone had told me that a casual friend I knew from high school would one day help my daughter make definitive footholds in her career I would have been in total disbelief.
Recently my daughter has settled in southern California to try to break into the film industry. A friend suggested that I look up an old friend we both knew from high school, Herbert Welsh. Herbert, according to my friend, now worked for a television major network.
Flash forward to him advising her, helping her network, and basically making himself available to her at almost any opportunity should she ever need it. I feel so comfortable not just with her living in a brand new city, but that she has this support in her career ahead for her because of him.
When I have tried to thank him, or even express gratitude he is dismissive. "Someone did this for me." Or he simply responds, "I want to give back."
I don't know which touches my heart more? The idea that someone would bestow this depth of kindness with the expectation of nothing in return is one thing. However, I guess the concept of the randomness of Herbert's friendship so long ago and what it has now blossomed takes the cake.
Cut to me- just sitting in gratitude- gratitude for the randomness of life, and also basking in the beauty of good will.

So special how your paths have crossed again.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful. I can feel your relief and gratitude knowing someone else is looking out for your kid. I feel it too having my child so far from home.
ReplyDelete