Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Jealous

 




     I love to watch the birds in my yard. I can't explain it. I try to keep the bird feeders full, my binoculars handy, and then sit back and watch the show.  Sometimes, my mornings are quite busy, and I am often on the way to another task when I remember to feed them. However, if I am lucky I will try to wait. If I time it just right, it is pure magic.

     Once the feeders are full I quickly return to the house. Within minutes at least one solitary bird will fly down, and light upon a perch on the bird feeder. In just a few seconds another bird will come. There is no noise whatsoever from the birds, and no calling. (The exception to the rule of course is the California Bluejay. He can't keep his beak shut to save his life).

    I never get tired of watching this process, nor marveling in their seamless ability to communicate without sound.  In a world where one is being inundated with screens, social media, over saturated mass reporting, and even the news ticker tape displayed at the bottom of a t.v. screen I must admit I am downright envious that our feathered friends can communicate through silence.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoy watching the birds out my windows, too. A stump in my yard is one of their favorite resting spots, and a bush in my neighbor’s yard. Recently there have been many fat robins ( why are they so plump this year?), a very bright blue Jay, and a cardinal that was a unique dark red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just returned from New Jersey where I viewed the magnificent cardinal. (We don't have in Ca.) U r lucky! :)

      Delete
  2. I think of Mary Oliver poems when reading words such as yours. We can learn much from birds.

    ReplyDelete