I'm the youngest in my family, and the last of four. For me there were no baby books, no infant pictures, no brand new ANYTHING. My mom was done when I came along and it was obvious everywhere. I was that pest, I was too young, I was a tagalong that everyone resented BUT I must add if someone was picking on me- LOOK OUT!
Both parents were very busy and my older sister took on the household. She ran us like the military, and now with a career in higher education I imagine the anthropology department is also run with equal finesse. And it is this very background, this very history that led me to question and then quickly abandon an issue with my sister this summer while visiting.
"I've booked you an airport shuttle for tomorrow morning," she said firmly that night at dinner. We had already talked about this. I had pre-ordered a Lyft to sleep on the way to the airport. She was against this as she wanted to pay. I dreaded the shuttle with the multiple pick ups and drop offs in the wee hours before my flight. I grabbed my phone to cancel my Lyft ride because I knew better to argue with my big sister.
In the dark racing to the airport that morning I surrendered to thought that she will always want to take care of me. I settled into the cold, vinyl seat slightly irritated but very content.
It sounds like despite the bossiness, you appreciate your sister. And perhaps you pick your battles carefully? I hope you had a good flight!
ReplyDelete