Friday, March 24, 2023

Purty Dang Blessed

 





       Elementary school teaching has changed over the years. In my humble opinion, it has lost its' way.  There is too much emphasis on test scores, and outcomes and not as much emphasis on learning, and the student. There is a also great deal of stress. (Who am I kidding?!) And in the past 25 years this former educator has seen far too much.  If I'm going to be honest- it was definitely time to hang up my satchel. However, to put a positive spin on things, I will say that one of the most beautiful things that I take away from my teaching experience is to know that the little community we created for nine months in our class still carries on.

    I recently learned that a group of my students still get together (whenever they are local) and still keep in touch via social media.

    One texted me the other night because she was with her good friend  (also from our class) and they were asking me about a favorite art project of theirs: victorian houses. We designed, and drew our own individual houses with different windows, doors, surface treatments, etc In addition, I discovered two other best friends from our class were exchanging pictures, and memories of our outdoor education trips to the Marin Headlands on social media this week.

    You know what? I can still see their faces. 

2 comments:

  1. That is indeed a beautiful thing and to be treasured. I love that they sent you a picture. Sounds like we are in the same neck of the woods. I took my students to Slide Ranch, a transformational fieldtrip for my city kids that they talked about for years and years when they would come back and visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We never forget their faces! Names, sometimes, but their faces are indelibly inscribed in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete