Saturday, March 2, 2024

Acceptance


     They are all grown up now- or some reasonable facsimile at 22 and 24 years old.  Yet, there is a feeling I get wherever I am in the house and both of them are home. It never fails. This morning I paused on the stairs as it enveloped me like a warm blanket. The house feels different. The house feels complete, or maybe I do? I started being aware of the feeling when my oldest left for college and it's stuck with me since.There is a sense of security when they are sleeping, and I am doing my morning tasks. And whether it is loading the dishwasher, or even making coffee- I am content. I know they are safe. Initially, I wanted to keep that feeling tight in my hand but I know that I cannot.

    And then the day rears its' ugly head and we are off into the thick of it. And the moment is gone, as quickly as it came. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, boy do I feel this! Mine are all still here, but with one at 18 and two other teens, the future looms large. I fully embrace the security of mornings when all is quite and the people I love are resting. Thank you for this lovely Slice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the house is complete when they stop by to visit. My 21 year old pops in once or twice a week. He has his own apartment, so I rarely wake up knowing he'll be coming down the stairs, but I sure do feel complete, as you posit. These moments are so fleeting.

    ReplyDelete