I recently drug hubby to see a favorite musician from college days and I was struck by the power of music and all the different connections it forges.
Not only was I instantly swept back into that time period (late '80's if you must know) but all the memories, emotions and angst resurfaced, too. It was as if by some scientific phenomenon I was somehow zapped from 2024 and plopped down smack in the middle of my college days in San Diego. I was feelings things, and pondering stuff that literally had not crossed my mind for almost forty years!
"Man, being away from home is hard!"
"I got to get across the campus in less than ten minutes!"
"Everyone else seems to have this down. . ."
The awkwardness, the homesickness, but most of all the feelings of insecurity came bubbling up that night. I marveled at not only the fact that music could do that, but also at my own inner strength during that time away from home. I wanted to hug that 18 year old waif and give her support. Instead, I just settled for listening to the musician's play list on Spotify on the drive home.We both laughed together when we surprised an occasional neighboring driver at a stoplight with our singing.

Sounds like great fun!
ReplyDelete