Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Backyard Bully



   If you read my posts you know I'm a confessed bird lover and I've recently acquired an app that identifies all my feathered friends instantly by their call.

   With this little fellow you don't need an app. He is unmistakable not just in his regal beauty, but because his call his distinct, and unequivocally the loudest. He is California Scrub Jay and don't forget it.

    He is the biggest, the brightest blue, and that's not even getting into the fact that he is, as afore mentioned, the loudest. 

    I've been watching him lately. I have several bird feeders, and he's pretty much the backyard bully. He clears out all the smaller birds.  When he lands they all seem to scatter. They defer to him and wait till he is done. Sometimes, he invites a few of his cronies. They all gather at the feeder, much too large, but not willing to give up. When he is gone I am  guessing it's probably a relief. The smaller birds return one-by-one,  accepting his "sloppy seconds."

    The balance was completely disrupted yesterday with the arrival of a crow. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Merlin? That jay is gorgeous...different from our Eastern Jays, a different shade, a longer neck. So interesting. I'm partial to the Northern Cardinals in my neighborhood...they have the loveliest song.

    ReplyDelete