Sunday, March 27, 2022

Life is Funny

 


   Last night my husband and I watched a program that wrapped up w/ the classic Joni Mitchell song, "Both Sides Now." This lead to an in depth discussion of our own parent's love of folk music, and of course our respective childhoods during the seventies.

    I don't know why, but the juxtaposition of the commonalities we shared- without knowing each other- and then the randomness of us meeting, and then spending our lives together- was not lost on me.  It hit me, full bore, like a train.

   I thought of those nights long ago listening to Joni Mitchell playing on my father's turntable.  The nights in our house swaying on that green shag carpet while talking about peace marches, and ecology but never once contemplating the good life that was ahead for me. Never even imagining that loving partner waiting patiently for me about twenty years that also like Joni Mitchell. 

   Life is funny that way.

4 comments:

  1. Music is such an interesting memory/connecting thread, and quite effective in visuals (like TV and movies) for this very reason. Neat discussion and reminders.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read about this! Music is helping with dementia -which gives me hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s funny to think about how to life’s meat and entertwine. It’s also interesting to learn new things about our partners even after being with them for years. Music is a beautiful connector. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. That should read -two lives meet and intertwine”….😜

    ReplyDelete