Sunday, March 13, 2022

Best Laid Plans






     I tried to run away once. My older sister had run away many years earlier, and had made our local West Lafayette newspaper.   Holding the clipping in my hands,  I perused it enviously, and decided right then and there, I would be a celebrity, too. 

   When I told my siblings, they didn't even flinch.  Laying on their tummies, I think they might have looked up from their cards, bu even that I'm not really sure of.   I do know they packed my bag for me, and put it right by our front door.  I knew they had called my bluff.

   I think I may have made it almost to the end of the street by the old sycamore tree? I just remember I had to turn around  unexpectedly to use the restroom.  Once inside our warm home, my exit plans were quickly forgotten over a friendly game of monopoly.

No comments:

Post a Comment