"What do you mean Elmers doesn't make plastic that can be recycled?" Britt had asked incredulously. I remember vividly how it all started. It was almost a battle cry. How refreshing it has been to sit with my nine year olds, and put forth information (and sometimes gently guide them) to their own outcomes. We made decisions together, and after gathering our own classroom data, we decided to ask the school to monitor their glue stick usage.
The label peeling off, and seeing the stick was only half full of glue was a catalyst, too. I'm not gonna lie.
Change is good, and change WILL happen.
Wow, this topic touches a sore spot for me. I hate seeing the waste that goes on in schools. Every action adds up. Keep up the good fight--and the battle cry!
ReplyDeleteBrevity is the soul of wit... In very few sentences you present us with the fruits of a whole process as well the seeds from which they sprang. Succinct storytelling is an art.
ReplyDelete