I have opened up my wallet to just about every "squirrel proof," bird feeder sold in retail that is known to man, and to no avail.
And after watching these furry, little, big toothed critters rocking violently back and forth on said "squirrel proof," bird feeders, or gnawing through feeders, and even metal chained covers, I have peacefully surrendered.
Now I just scatter the bird seeds on the side yard much like the bird lady in "Mary Poppins." I wait patiently inside. I stand quietly in my bay window, and I have my binoculars in hand.
And like a viral Tik-Tok (only much more amazing) within minutes the secret is out. The side yard begins to have tiny, winged visitors. First there is just one, then two or three, and so on. It cannot be denied; there is free breakfast on Brookside Drive.
And so there they are; squirrel and wren, and an occasional Stellar Jay breaking bread together, and I am okay with that.
Squirrels ... for us, it's also ... and chipmunks. But that's life, right? There must be some animal texting system -- "they got seeds!" -- to spread the word.
ReplyDeleteKevin
What a beautiful thought this morning - - squirrels, birds of many feathers - - all breaking bread on Brookside Drive. The imagery tells me that this is the place to be, binoculars in hand, waiting and watching, enjoying the show!
ReplyDelete"...Like a viral TikTok..." what a fabulous comparison!
ReplyDeleteYour slice brought a smile to my face this morning since my parents and I were just talking about the way the squirrels used to destroy our bird feeders when I was growing up.