Tuesday, September 2, 2025

Bird Etiquette


    I guess they call us birders? I didn't even know there was a name for it. I just know that I'm pretty much into it.  Proof of the fact just might be the several different types of bird feeders in the yard, mini binoculars on hand, a bird identifying app,, and even a smart bird feeder on top of a pole set in poured concrete.

     But that's neither here, nor there.

     In the mornings I watch. I fill the feeders and enjoy my "B.S." time. Now, I know what you're thinking. (That's actually a different part of the day) B.S. stands for BEFORE SQUIRRELS. I have tried to acquiesce. But I will save that backstory for another slice.

     There are so many WAY cool things I see daily while observing my feathered friends but one thing I see that is so beautiful is the way they defer to each other while on the feeders. So far I'm only attracting small birds mainly (sometimes an errant Blue Jay) but the Mourning Doves don't even bother with the feeders. They stay down below and feed off what the other birds knock down. (Some birds peck, dig, and make quite a mess).

    If a bird is feeding and already at the feeder when another bird arrives at the feeder, the original bird will give up his spot at the feeder. The original bird will fly off and the new bird feeds. There is none of this "Me first" stuff. Or  even the old chestnut, "I was here already."

   Sometimes, a bird waits quietly for their turn on the pole. I notice that even theugh the feeder could handle MANY birds  at one time, it is the birds that choose the feeding to be one at a time. Only the House Fiches ( pictured here-red chest) will allow more than one bird at the feeder. 

    I wonder what's up with that?

    Now I'm not saying there is total peace in the animal kingdom. Every once in a while two birds will partake in some kind of fracas. This a definite type of aggression but it's pretty mild by human standards.  Two birds hit the feeder in tandem mid air and will  kind of come together. Then they fly in tiny spirals upward while flapping against eachother. It's almost like a face off, but still the two "hold outs" end up flying off, and another brand new bird feeds.

    Ever heard of the old put down,"bird brain?" Well, guess what? That little walnut sized brain might in fact be smaller, but also more efficient. Said walnut is neuron dense and highly intelligent.

    Sure, I bet my new read, Caitlin O'Connell's WILD RITUALS might have something to do with it, but I'm thinking we could probably learn a lot from birds. 

6 comments:

  1. Your slice captures the magic of the animal kingdom. I guess that is why so many of us for so many generations have been watching and maybe even learning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished the book The Burning Earth and kept thinking about how much nature has to teach us. The entire “have dominion over” from the bible is misinterpreted by those who discount how much we need critters for our own survival. I’ve never been much of a birder because I have poor vision and bad depth perception, but I do enjoy birding when I travel. Traveling has me paying more attention to birds in my area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, sounds like a title I need to take a peek at. . . . I love to read about your travels, Glenda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your fellow bird lovers will agree that you have suggested a book we all need to check out - - and I, for one, cannot wait! I love this claim: Now I'm not saying there is total peace in the animal kingdom. Every once in a while two birds will partake in some kind of fracas. I just love the style and humor here - - it made me chuckle. Birds of a feather, birds of a fracas. Fabulous slice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morna, what a fun slice. I cracked up at the B.S. paragraph. I'll look forward to reading a future post about Before Squirrels. Enjoy the book as you learn from the birds.

    ReplyDelete