Tuesday, September 16, 2025

Be Here Now


     I'm sitting outside, in the early morning quiet. The blades of grass have beads of dew on them as big as dimes. The sun has started in the east and the sky has just begun to light. I fill the feeders and go sit down. My neighbor's 80's music revival hasn't started yet so and it's just me, and hopefully some  birds. I park myself on some outdoor furniture and wait. It won't be long. First, they come and alight on the fence, and then maybe tree. Finally, one goes straight to the feeder, and then another. I love to listen to them talk to each other.

And then I hear a bird call I don't recognize.

It's beautiful. It's so unique.

I freeze. 

Should I?

I go inside to grab my phone to use my app that identifies birds by their calls.

I open the sliding doors like a ninja, and quietly return to the patio.

I hold my phone up.

The bird and its' sweet song are gone.

Discouraged I find the couch and finish my coffee. 

 And then I lie to myself that I won't lose a quiet moment like that again.

5 comments:

  1. Morna, I’m so sorry the strange bird flew away. Ugh! I enjoyed the peaceful scene your words paint and the ethereal tone of this post. Stupid technology! It’s so wonderful and simultaneously awful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You captured all the anticipation and frustration that happens when we try to use technology to solve any problem or identify any moving thing! This was a fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You took me right there next to you anticipating the new bird’s call. I love having the Merlin app. Most of the time, I recognize the calls of the regulars, but every once in a while, there is a new sound. I hope you can identify it next time. Isn’t it rewarding to have time to just sit?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another Merlin addict, huh? I recognize myself in this slice! You painted such a lovely picture of your serene morning. It sounds like there might be another slice in your neighbor's 80's music revival!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the thought of sitting out in the early morning waiting for bird songs. I know the disappointment of missing that moment because the camera or app was not right there, but you heard it and it will come again. I hope!

    ReplyDelete