This past two weeks I entered TOO many writing challenges, and after having been kicked in the teeth on multiple occasions with multiple rejections I had an epiphany. What I have asked of my own children, and even my former students (for the past 25 years) is pretty hard to do. Handling, or coping with failure is no easy task.
No easy task.
Trust me. My office walls are papered with self esteem builders, quotes to help me cope with failures, and even ones that help me see the growth in failure. I have spent over a year and a half at writing and I have not only seen my growth as a writer but most importantly, I measure my growth differently. This week I was kinda blindsided. Again, what I learned from the "sting," was that even at 61, not even a SHRED of my self worth can come from others.

I think it’s important that you’ve experienced what we ask our students to experience, along with all the complicated emotions that come with it. Good for you! I hope you are able to share your realizations with others.
ReplyDeleteYes, def Linda. With failure comes growth.
DeleteI love thinking about your office walls filled with inspiration and images that build you up. Way to take the hard knocks, and to continue to remind yourself that you ARE growing. And way to make it into a Slice!
ReplyDeleteEmbarrassingly, yes. Papered with uplifting quotes. Stephen King had his rejections attached with a pushpin and later switched to a spike.
Delete