I know, I know. I know all the stuff about worrying. I know all the cliche sayings and how it has absolutely NO impact on the outcome whatsoever. I also know it's unhealthy, and it causes so much stress, etc. Let's face it; I'm a veteran. I try to handle it. I try to conquer it. Honestly, I'm somewhat successful. Somewhat.
Except when it comes to my kids. Then all bets are off. Because if you thought watching your kids take a tumble off a slide, or flip off their bike could send you into a tailspin try listening to them make a poor decision as a twenty-something, after listening to your advice, and the conversation ends, and you are left to "not worry."
That old cliche "letting go," is right up there with "not worrying," as one of the hardest things to do in that parenting book. (In my humble opinion).
And by the way, I am still waiting for the adult version in the What to Expect series. Guess, I shouldn't hold my breath.

Parenting children in their 20s is SO challenging. We are trying to navigate that right now, and it's beyond difficult. I could really connect to your post!
ReplyDeleteTrue that!!
DeleteWe're tiptoing into the teenage years here so I have no advice. I don't know how to let go or not worry either. I'm sure that it won't change much as my kids get to their 20s. (Though, right now they seem to think they're going to live locally despite me telling them they should spread their wings.)
ReplyDeleteMorna, you gave such a great example there about the younger child worries (falling off a slide) to the young adult worries of bad decisions that can affect them for life. Here's to being about to let go and not worry, as much as is possible. Somewhat, even in baby steps.
ReplyDeleteOH YES. I used to say that NO ONE has ever written a "What to expect with teenagers" book because no one ever can or wants to remember those years. IT WOULD BE A BEST SELLER. Yet, there really does need to be a book about parenting "adult" children...sigh....I would write it myself, IF I was doing a great job....and I am not sure!
ReplyDelete