Tuesday, February 13, 2024

New Things

 






      This weekend I put myself out there, and attended the most magnificent children's writing conference nestled deep in the Monterey coast.

       And even before I put my name tag on, checked in at the hotel, or even surveyed the grounds I was transported back to my eight- year old self starting brand new at a school in California.

    No matter how old you are, doing something new, acclimating, making yourself vulnerable and initiating conversations with people that you don't know can be a bumpy road.

    As a teacher I think about how too often I gently nudged my students, and even my own children through these rocky transitions probably a little too quickly. Scratch that- definitely too quickly.

   Yet, on the flip side, when it's all said and done with, the same feeling washes over me when I complete a task or adventure that has pushed me out of my comfort zone. A tiny voice  inside me seems to always say, "Now that wasn't so bad was it?"

6 comments:

  1. This is a powerful commentary on the challenge and reward of doing something new/unfamiliar. It's necessary as well and hard; yet, the rewards are many, Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you have to hold both? But I definitely re-evaluated my own role with regard to kids navigating this transition for sure.

      Delete
  2. It is so difficult sometimes to start a conversation. I think it is easier at a conference - at least you know one thread of conversation you can pull on - the theme of the conference! Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this. I have been contemplating trying out a new hobby and feeling uncertain about it. But as you said we ask our students and own children to do this and we encourage them. So I am going to follow your lead and sign up for that class I was thinking about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monterey! It sounds like a multi-victory weekend! A stunning location. An inspiring conference. The chance to walk through discomfort and come out the other side with good feelings.

    ReplyDelete