School started last week and I vaguely remembered how we all used to gather in front of the office doors and windows where all the new class lists would be posted. Oh how we would wait so patiently for the school's office manager to begin posting the class lists. Some parent would always drive by and see the process starting, and soon the news would spread through the neighborhood like wildfire.
Usually there would be no speaking at first. There was always a blanket of quiet as the families studied the lists trying to find their name. Students might squeal or grimace. Mothers or dads held infants and sometimes straying toddlers' hands tightly.
Conversations could start up while leaving the office doors. Casual banter and quick catch ups might ensue at the curb. Summer topics ranged from detailed vacations, jaunts to camp, or visits to out-of-state family members.
I wonder what substitutes nowadays for what seemed to be a vital part of the "before school" process? This change probably is not noted at all except by those who came before. I'm guessing a new ritual has taken its' place.
I hope so.

I am not sure there is a substitute for this. The lists are hidden behind data protection walls in the depths of internet. In my little town the festive thing is on the first day of school when the students of graduating class hold hands with first graders who start school and together they parade through the main street with the rest of the school and town community cheering to both.
ReplyDeleteTerje, you must write about this!
DeleteYour memory took me back. I can even remember what I was wearing on the first day of second grade as I stood waiting to read that list. I was disappointed by my placement that day! Your post has me and others reflecting about school traditions, especially beginning of the year traditions. I hope others will answer your question.
ReplyDeleteSorry, didnt mean to be anonymous. This was Fran McC.
ReplyDeleteOh, how I remember those days and the year I didn't get the fifth grade teacher who always put on the big luau. I was crushed. I got the stricter teacher who rarely laughed or smiled. She liked to write on the chalk board and make us take notes ---in fifth grade. Today, our district has Open House night ahead of school starting, where families come in to the school together to get their class schedules and meet the teachers. In our community, this may be the most well-attended event all year long for any reason at all. It was once said here that even if you didn't have children in the schools, you should come out to Open House just to be seen. I think that happened the year we got a new school and everyone in the community wanted to see it. Truth.
ReplyDelete