Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Canine Subtleties


 


    Anyone  remember Eddie Murphy's bit on SNL, or his stand up routine of the "ice cream man?" I never fail to think of that bit when I'm out on our morning walk with my dog, Lucie. We pass the same house on our walk every morning. Every morning without fail the same ferocious dogs go at us, and bark mercilessly from inside. We can't see them, we can only hear them, and use our wild imaginations.

     Along with that team of dogs barking, comes the accustomed prancing that Lucie will automatically fall into. She only slips into this slight prance when passing said house.  And she only picks up in front of this house, and it stops right at the end of their driveway.  The dogs can't even see her. They can smell her though. They can sense her. And for some reason, it's important to her to let them know that she's outside, and they are not. 

4 comments:

  1. That is a sweet image, the "slight prance when passing said house." Wonderful how dogs communicate and how much they know and understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I have a dog that would smell out Lucie for sure. We've been laughing in our house about the authenticity in dogs' greetings. Your post addresses that, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! The strutting of dogs and the knowing of who is in the better place is quite entertaining. Indeed - - they speak a language all their own. I often ask mine to translate the gossip when we hear other dogs barking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Lucie! She is one smart dog and she knows she's free to walk in the sunshine and THEY are not! Love this post!

    ReplyDelete