This weekend I was lucky enough to sneak away to mountains with a former colleague whom I used to teach with. With officially a year into my retirement she asked me the common query, "Do you miss it?"
And I told her what I had surprisingly discovered myself about the classroom. I miss THEM.
I miss their pure unadulterated energy. They are unencumbered, and impulsive. They speak freely, and there is no filter (not always a good thing) but they are unfalteringly optimistic. I never really knew just how much my students kept my own cynicism at bay.
Until now.

Agreed. I MISS THEM. I do not miss the politics, backbiting, and self grandizing!
ReplyDeleteOMG!!! So true. When I sub I have so much fun- because I only teach. . .
DeleteNext year will be the first one when I won't return to a classroom (changing jobs). I can't imagine it yet. I'll probably miss the kids too.
ReplyDeleteI wish u all the best- in all that u do.
Delete