When I first started going to my counselor to deal with "mother loss," I stopped outside her office one day and smelled a very familiar scent. I came to find out that the hedge in front of her office was a boxwood. This plant/bush was in front of my grandparents brick porch in North Carolina that I used to play on as a child.
That bush has a very light, kind of smoky smell. Immediately, when I smelled it, I was taken back to plaid shorts, sticky legs and fireflies. My grandparents sitting on the brick porch as we chased each other in that soft green grass while they drank cold Tabs and played Scrabble.
On a trip to NC as an adult I managed to grab some boxwood when my siblings and I stopped by the house. My grandparents house was sold a long time ago, but we paused, and stood on the path in front of the house together each with our own set of memories. I couldn't help but wonder about the family inside, and their memories.
It is amazing how smells an take us back in time or retrieve long forgotten memories.
ReplyDeleteTab! I remember drinking that. Isn't it funny how smells can do that?!? I still remember the smell of our coal furnance...and I was only 4 years old. That is probably one of my oldest memories.
ReplyDeleteSmells, sounds, sights, our senses are memory factories. It is amazing how they can transport us.
ReplyDelete