Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Ah! To Be a Child Again. . . .

 

   Sometimes, I hate being an adult.  In fact, truth be told, I have always envied a little toddler screaming and pummeling the concrete floor in Target after a toy was finally put back on the shelf. They got it out of their system; they expressed themselves.  Now, it's over, and let's move on. It's really cathartic . 

    I used to even marvel at my own two children who were almost possessed by a split personality. My daughter would explode like Mount Vesuvius, and then like someone had flipped a switch, kindly make some other unrelated random request so quietly I might have to bend down to hear it.

    They sleep better than we do, too.  Standing in their doorway at night, I would pause to just watch them sleep. I remember taking in their calm porcelain faces with deep admiration.

   Don't worry. I won't be starting any new fangled "Emotional Release," groups for adults any time soon. . . .

4 comments:

  1. We were recently on vacation with our kids. I was always the last one to go to sleep at night since I stay up to read. I adored watching their precious, tranquil faces as they slept in bed. Such sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would definitely sign up for that support group!! Yes, I envy toddlers and dogs, too. I think there is something so simple about a life guided by immediacy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a new grandson and love watching him be a baby, sweet, innocent, unaware of life’s complications, and like you I long to drink in and relive those carefree, halcyon days, although I probably thought my toddler life was stressful and full of problems at the time. Isn’t life like that? We long for another time at all times of life,

    ReplyDelete