Tuesday, March 3, 2026

Yet Another Layer





   I don'r presume, or claim to have the corner on sad moments in life but I gotta say that emptying out the storage space of an alcoholic is definitely up there.

   I also need to add that alcoholism is a gift that keeps on giving. And just when you think you have hit your threshold for pain you get a big surprise.

   I was dreading this task, and I was definitely not seeking it out. I thought it would be like cleaning out the garage, maybe? I thought it would be a physically taxing job.

    But it was that, and so much more.

     Each box held a memory. Each box held a feeling. Sometimes, the boxes held frustration or evidence of my sister's alcoholism. Mostly the boxes held items simply demonstrating a life that was no longer being lived. I took in rugs, wall art, and even refrigerator magnets that had all played a role in an active, and busy life. 

     I remembered those rugs. I sat at that table. I ate off those plates.

     Yet another new way the disease has impacted our family, and me.

     Still her younger sister but no longer anything else.

    

6 comments:

  1. virtual hugs to you... the line, "demonstrating a life that was no longer being lived" is one that hits hard

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry - sending you hugs and wishes for peace. My dad was an alcoholic, so I understand how the disease has lasting impacts. Thank you for sharing such a personal slice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also sending a virtual hug! My dad was an alcoholic until I was about 12. Then he was a recovering alcoholic.... Although he never relapsed (that I know of), he considered himself to be an alcoholic until the day he died. I can't imagine how hard it must be to go through those things, all tinged with the memories that could be both happy and sad. I hope you can find peace in some way through this process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heartbreaking but beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diane (newtreemom)
    The gift that keeps giving… and keeps impacting the family. All of us who’ve lived with a family member struggling with alcoholism know that truth. Sending you hope.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So so many hugs to you. I know this pain well.

    ReplyDelete