Can I just say we could learn SO much from nature if we only took the time to stop and listen? If we only took the time to stop, and bear witness.
I watched these guys from inside my warm and dry kitchen.There they are, in the pouring rain, devouring this songbird mix despite being pelted down upon in torrential rain.
I also watched them patiently waiting their turn. I don't know how they know when they are done, and when it's the next bird's turn? They only take their share, and then they willingly let another bird have their turn. How do they measure this?
I think of the world today. Maybe, you think I am reaching? How could I possibly be relating the behavior of birds to current events? Oh but I am. I'm looking at absolutely everything now. I'm trying to make sense of current events and basic human behavior that I have never witnessed in my lifetime.
But I will confess that watching them take turns, persevere, and all the while implementing a sense of order is beautiful to behold.
I feel like both of our slices today are about taking a moment to talk about and focus on the good that is in the world. We have to live with a wide-awake awareness of what is working so that we don't feel flattened.
ReplyDeleteOh, absolutely Stacey. Absolutely.
DeleteWe had a snow storm a few weeks ago, and when my husband put out the new feeders, it took a while for the birds to come. We laughed at the idea of how they know there is a feeder. Do they talk to each other? Because all of sudden, birds were everywhere!
ReplyDeleteI love this Leigh Anne. They don't need technology. They communicate so well without it.
DeleteI love how you anchored the reflection in those close, careful observations of the birds. Oddly enough, I felt a sense of hope in your description of their behavior. It also made me think of my grandfather and his love of birds. Thank you for that.
ReplyDelete