Tuesday, June 24, 2025

"V" is For Victory

.    I guess I have probably spent 5-6 summers now chasing an elusive crop of tomatoes. Growing from seeds, small plants, to even fully grown ones it doesn't matter. I have tried 'em all.  I tried fully grown plants last summer in a vain attempt to trick myself that I wasn't really fully invested.

     The location didn't matter, either. I had grown them in so many different places. Last year I had even broke down and tried movable planters on our brick patio. Yet, I had still failed. Nothing had angered me more than the year I had a crop in our raised beds in the far back of our yard .Something had eaten the blossoms even through chicken wire. 

    The frustration is often overwhelming.  And every summer I grapple with not just losing the crop, but not knowing why. I'm not sure which one is more infuriating? Is it door number one, or door number two?

   Now I need to back up. I need to explain. Along with the generous 1/3 of an acre we are blessed to have, we have critters. Let me be more specific, we have birds, mice, gophers, roof rats (who contrary to their name do not restrict themselves just to the roof) field mice, and raccoons. Oh, and this year I get to add voles to our outdoor family. That's just what I've seen, mind you.

    And don't even get me started on the snails.

   Now do you get it? There is a war going on in my backyard.

   And I'm losing it.

     At least when I lost last summer's crop I had the caveat of knowing who was responsible. I had the relief of knowing who was enjoying the tiny yellow blossoms. I watched a stray bird from time to time flit down, and tear them apart. What? You've never heard of birds eating the flowers on tomato plants? You are not alone, my friend. The salesperson at my local nursery echoed the same. Trust me! I WISH I was making this up. 
     Flash forward to this morning. And there they were. Nestled innocently deep within the spicy stalks. I guess I somehow expected trumpets to be blaring.  There weren't any.  In fact, I could barely even hear the soft crunching of the blades of grass as I  padded back to the house in quiet triumph. 

4 comments:

  1. As I read, I found myself wanting to solve your problem. My husband would tell you to set traps for the voles. They tear up the playground near us. At first I thought your soil might be the problem. Ours was when we built our house on what was formerly a potato field. We had to haul in soil for landscaping to survive. Maybe it’s time to either grow those little indoor tomatoes or build a greenhouse. I do hope you win the war w/ slugs, birds, etc. I’d cry if my tomatoes were victimized as you describe. 😭

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you are in the trenches w/me Glenda. I feel your empathy.

      Delete
  2. The troubles of gardeners. I have been there although my critter group is a bit smaller. I am currently in battle with rabbits. They have found ways through many varieties of fencing. Good Luck and hope you can grow a few tomatoes this year! A greenhouse sounds like a great idea! Maybe a small one! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very wise advice. :)

    ReplyDelete