Tuesday, May 6, 2025

Oh Wise One



    Last Saturday I participated in an age old western ritual. I attended  a baby shower. And not just any baby shower- mind you- one that was heavily decorated, and one that the mom-to-be was gifted probably every new parenting gadget ever created, as well as some old chestnuts. And to be fully transparent, although I now fall into one of the older generations, I still saw many parallels. 

    For instance, there are still a bunch of new fangled items that are being sold as "must haves," to new parents. Items that I now know, in my infinite wisdom, are really not needed. 

     If you can stay up all night rocking, or walking the halls you will be okay. If you can circle the block many times in the wee hours, you will pass muster. If your little bundle is warm, dry and has eaten you have essentially covered all the bases.  

    But I get it. It's the uncertainty. That uncertainty will get you.

    I can wax nostalgic, and come off cool as a cucumber with the best of 'em, but I was the one who had labor and delivery on speed dial. And I was still calling long after I delivered.

   Sssh! Don't give me away.

3 comments:

  1. Love your invaluable advice in paragraph 3. Maybe you should type it up to enclose in future shower cards. Those days were long ago for me, but I love the support I received from fellow moms in the trenches too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's hoping your age-old wisdom shines through as you enjoy the shower (mine is that baby just needs you and some board books, and most will be OK!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too find the plethora of outfits and gadgets at baby showers to be overwhelming, particularly from those of us who know you would really benefit from a washing and drying of clothes along with a loading and unloading of the dishwasher certificate to be among the most appreciated gifts after the baby arrives! I stick to books and a homemade quilt.

    ReplyDelete