Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Genetics

 




   I can't explain it. I'm no scientist, BUT there is a weird relationship going on with coffee and my family.  And you know what? It's been going on for a long time. 

     I was told when my mom graduated from college her sweet mates actually gave her a coffee pot on a rope. They laughed about it when they told me but I duly took note.

    I  actually met my husband over an espresso. And by the way, I had long ago taken a side in the longstanding Starbucks and Peets feud in northern California.  ( If you have to ask which side I took, you obviously have not had a cup of Peets coffee!)

   When visiting my older sister recently I instantly thought she could be preparing for the apocalypse while looking at her supply of coffee. The pounds were stacked neatly in the corner of her pantry like bricks of gold. She smiled sheepishly. " They were on sale," she offered.

    In college my daughter revealed one morning that not only had she gone out and bought herself a Nespresso machine but she was keeping it in her room.  "Mom, I need it for late night studying. I don't have a problem do I?" 

 I brought my Yeti Rambler 30 oz tumbler to my lips, took a sip of my Peets Major Dickinsons, and reassured her that she did not.

5 comments:

  1. I love this humorous piece about coffee and family. You had me hooked from the beginning all the way to your clever conclusion. I wrote an ode to coffee in a 2-week New Jersey Writing Workshop. There's just something about this grown-up drink. By the way, Peet's coffee is on my To Do List.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lively reflection on coffee loving in your family. It’s well paced and the final two paragraphs are so well crafted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a late in life learning to be a coffee lover; however, I get it! My coffee maker is my biggest home appliance and I know the way to all the local coffee spots because sometimes, you just have to tret yourself! Long ago, I used to laugh at my mother's 3PM coffee break. NOW, I'm part of the trend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I've had Peet's a handful of times and it is quite good! Unfortunately, we don't have any out here in my parent of PA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Evening, Morna:

    This is a lovely post. The heartwarmth from the cup of coffee just seems to resonate from the screen. As a latte was a medium that seemed to bring me great clarity this weekend, it was delightful to see coffee in another family as a focal point of comfort, community and comedic relief. Thank you for sharing this tender moment. It seems priceless.

    ReplyDelete