Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Connections




      This weekend my husband and I got a dose of much needed culture sprinkled with a little one-on-one time (don't ask- we are WAY too caught up in  everyday craziness) and caught a matinee in San Francisco of Aaron Sorkin's Broadway acclaimed adaption of To Kill A Mockingbird. 

   There is absolutely nothing like the experience of art.  However, I must confess a pattern I've discovered in my life.  The pattern is that every time my husband and I finally make time for art, enjoy it, and acknowledge its' absence, we then find ourselves solemnly promising ourselves that this is never happening again. And then inevitably the cycle just repeats itself. (Oops, I digress.)

     The play was phenomenal, the set was unbelievable, and the actors just shone. Like any piece of art it's universality with the world, and especially today's mindset were not lost on me.

     However, the part when Scout "outs," Mr. Cunningham in the scene by the jail cut to my very core. I found myself squeezing my eyes trying to fight back a few tears. Immediately, I connected with this very emotional part of the play but also connected to my own life. I knew at that very moment why I love kids. I love kids because they have that power. They cut through the nonsense, the hate, the stupid adult mistakes, and those unforgivable behaviors. Children cut a path through the field ahead for us that many choose not to follow. 

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for two reminders- to keep art in our lives (more than once in a blue moon), and to appreciate children. I have always felt that one great thing about that novel was the genuine understanding of childhood. You are so right- children cut through and can show us a way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is on my bucket list. I love that movie and book, and I've seen the play in Monroeville, Alabama in the courthouse. I'd love to see the Broadway play adaptation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will not be disappointed. I promise!

      Delete
    2. I make the same promise about culture and fall into the same cycle. I’d move to see TKAM. I don’t think it has traveled to SLC or Boise yet. I’ll watch for it. Love those final thoughts about kids.

      Delete
  3. Yes, the power of a great story! I live 15 miles from the NYC theater district but going in for just a couple of shows a year is a challenge for sure. Yet every single time.....like you...I leave either in laughter or in happy/sad tears,,,,

    ReplyDelete