Anyone else feel like Covid was a bad dream? I was trying to sort out some late charges at my gym last night and I discovered several missed class fees that ashamedly I had never seen before. All of them fell during the year of lock down.
Now believe me, the financial piece of this will be taken care of at another time, and I promise not to bore you with the details.
My main point is that never in my life have I had such a space of time that was so "gray" to me. It was almost like memory loss. (I mean I guess how I imagined memory loss to be). I literally had to write the exact dates down of the charges, and dive deep down into 2020 and 2021 month-by-month. And even then I felt like I was walking on the moon.
Keep in mind that I am former elementary school teacher and every day (from Ground Hog Day to the 100th Day) is pretty much indelibly etched into my mind. And even when I did go back, and look at those days on a 2020 or 2021 calendar they were still sort elusive. It was like a fog to me. Was I really there? Did I really teach like that? Did I really teach on a screen for nine months? Did I really wear a mask in every public place I visited?
I remember reading somewhere that your brain has the capability to protect itself, and block out really painful times. I rest my case.

I love the image you inserted to go along with this post. Covid was a dark time. I just hope we can learn from it and not repeat or rhyme this history.
ReplyDeleteYES! I sometimes come across lesson plans from that time and just think- what?? Thanks for putting that feeling into words!
ReplyDeleteI was just sharing (or trying to) with some people about what it was like to teach both an in person and online class of fourth graders and I forgot all the words: zoom, document camera, streaming, GoGuardian… I did not forgot sh*t show…. Thank you for letting me know I’m not the only one!
ReplyDelete