Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Unfinished

 




    My mother's best friend Nancy has been in hospice twice now in the past three years. And I would be expecting absolutely NOTHING less from her.  Two years ago I flew out right when school ended to say,"good-bye," but instead she rallied, and was transferred to a skilled nursing facility.  Many phone calls and cards later, and even a brief summer visit resulted in me learning she was in hospice once again. I was told she was sleeping all day, and barely taking any nourishment. 

     So, you can kind of understand why I wasn't surprised at all when I got this text, " I'm sitting with her now, and she woke for a half hour. She is speaking, and drank a power shake. "

    She's a no-nonsense kind of woman who survived the both the depression,  and WWII.  She left the small town of Oxford, North Carolina to try her hand at a singing career in New York in the early fifties.  She once described herself to me by stating, " I don't suffer fools gladly."

    She's tough, strong and gentle.   In addition, she has always done everything on her own terms.  

    And I guess she isn't done yet.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely that she has taken life as she wants it! It may be hard on those around her but I have to admire those how hang in there!

    ReplyDelete