"No offense Mom, I love you guys but I want to be in my own apartment. I want to be with my own stuff, and on my own."
I had cracked the door to offer my daughter lunch, and found her not in her online class, but instead pulling her suitcase out from her closet, and a conversation had ensued.
She had announced she would stay till the end of January early in winter break yet she had suddenly changed her mind. She sat cross legged on her trundle bed w/its' daisy comforter surrounded by her stuffed animals, and a huge coffee cup, and then I knew exactly what she was saying. She was now "visiting." When this had exactly happened I do not know.
When do these milestones happen? Moms don't get a warning. We have no formal notification. They creep in, and they stay.
She searched my face cautiously. I reassured her. "Of course! That's where you live. That's where you belong. We totally "get," that. You can stay here as long as you want, or as little as you need." I hugged her hard for good measure.
I padded down the hallway knowing as parents we had done something SO right, but there would be no celebrating.

Those transition times are so difficult, but eventually there will be celebrating!
ReplyDeleteOh man. Even though it's the best-case scenario, it's so hard!
ReplyDeleteAh, so much here rings so true to me! When living turns to visiting. When we realize fostering independence is success, but can't bring ourselves to celebrate it! The details of the bedroom with the daisy comforter really added to your piece.
ReplyDeleteSo right! I'll celebrate you! My daughters are all in flux and it's been more so over the last several months. This is always home, and they also are doing a great job of creating their own.
ReplyDeleteYour post is beautifully and simply crafted!
My kiddos are 4 and 10 so a moment like this is so far off. However, my heartstrings tightend when I think about it.
ReplyDeleteAs Melanie said, your post is beautifully crafted!
That must be difficult seeing that transition, but like you said, you know you did something right. Hugs to you!
ReplyDeleteUgh...I feel this so much! The transitions our kids make are hard but necessary.
ReplyDeleteYou're right, it is a sign you've done something right, and yet I can only imagine how hard it is to see. I hope she will still be a frequent visitor!
ReplyDeleteI have loved having my oldest return to our nest this year - of course with ups and downs. It's amazing to see them fly off on their own (but SO HARD!)
ReplyDeleteThank you for the head's up, letting us know how these moments creep in. I agree, they sneak in and catch us off guard.
ReplyDeleteJust found this web site & page with your writing! Really great to see a sample of your thought process. What a great mother you are!
ReplyDelete