Recently I discovered research to support what my heart and body seemed to already know: that being outside is GOOD for you.
When I think back to childhood, I think like many children I loved playing outside. As a child, and even as an adult, I enjoyed walks, beaches, camping, hiking and even backpacking. And at the same time I became aware of those who were indifferent to the outdoors.
I do think after Covid, and after some "extremely bumpy" times in my family I somehow began to find myself outside in the early mornings, nursing my cup of coffee, just hanging with the birds. And if additional resources might be needed that morning- for instance: a down jacket or even a Petzl headlamp, I complied.
I still haven't quite mustered the umbrella, yet.
And it was when I started noticing how I felt when traveled or something else caused me to miss my outdoor morning ritual that I decided to do some investigating.
Who knew that my outdoor craving significantly enhanced mental, emotional and physical well being? I wasn't aware that there is actually scientific evidence that nature heals.
And don't even get me started on forest bathing!
Yes, being outdoors lifts mood, reduces stress, has physical health benefits and even boosts creativity, but you know what? I just know that I intrinsically need it.

I've always loved being outdoors. As a kid, I loved the chores that took me outside--like weeding flowerbeds, hanging up the clothes, raking the leaves. I've always loved to stand with the sun on my face and the wind blowing in my hair. I just thought I was a bit of a nerd. However, I too have been reading the research about the impact on our health that time outdoors has. It is very impressive. I'm also a barefoot girl... and now there's research about the importance of walking barefoot and connecting physically with the earth. And "forest bathing" ?? So interesting!
ReplyDelete"A barefoot girl" I love that description. Theres great imagery with that one.
DeleteI am an outdoor person, too. So were/are my kids at 29 and 33 years old. I have seen a few things about forest bathing, but I'm not totally up on it. I prefer the summer and about three summers ago, my sister's pool didn't open until after July 4th. I truly believe that had a huge impact on our mental wellness. She, my daughter, and I are all teachers and need that summer respite. Maybe I check more into that forest bathing!
ReplyDeleteOh I agree. And think of the flood of outdoor activities during COVID.
DeleteResearch that proves what we know in our hearts is the BEST. I too find that getting outside and walking whenever possible is the BEST medicine known to mankind. I guess it does go back to my childhood as well. Happy New Year filled with LOTS of time outside embracing nature.
ReplyDeleteGosh, I could not agree w/you more!
DeleteI had not heard of forest bathing until your post. And now I am intrigued. What has been your experience?
ReplyDeletehttps://www.npr.org/2023/08/22/1195337204/a-guide-to-forest-bathing
DeleteI like to be still and hear the leaves rustling and feel the gentle breeze.
DeleteI, too, love being outside. I retired in May and now I usually spend about half of every day outside, visiting different parks. I can’t believe I used to spend every work day inside. Enjoy the great outdoors!
ReplyDeleteIt's so subtly soothing, isn't it?
DeleteI like being outside, too. I do struggle with going out when it’s really cold or rainy. Sometimes I’ll sit in a chair next to a window and just watch outside. That helps.
ReplyDeleteSitting @ the window sounds beautiful, too
DeleteI love nature and animals. I love being outside even in Winter. I love cold 🥶 weather and I love snow ❄️
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year to you from Montreal, Canada ❤️ 😊 🇨🇦
Happy NY's Linda! I love the snow too- but only if I'm bundled up. . . .
DeleteHey, I’m posting the forest bathing link for all those interstates! Happy New Year
ReplyDeletehttps://www.npr.org/2023/08/22/1195337204/a-guide-to-forest-bathing