I remember when my kids were toddlers and my father was still alive. I had this wild epiphany. I mean it was a big one, too. I was just watching them play in the grass and suddenly I really "saw" them. I really took them in at that exact moment. And despite all the sleepless nights, night terrors, colic episodes, and whatever else they brought to the table, I looked at them full on with reverence. My father and I were on the phone at that moment and I shared, "I don't think I've done anything better than make these little beings."
He was aghast.
My father the most learned individual I have ever known, even to this day, who measured every human being by what they did, what they accomplished, what school they had gone to, or how much intelligence they possessed was sputtering. " I didn't raise you to be barefoot, and pregnant in the kitchen."
Now mind you, I had already come to a point in my life where the sun no longer rose or set on my father. In addition, I no longer believed everything he said- nor agreed with every statement. This change was a big shift in my life because I was raised by him, and he was larger than life.
So what he said (unbelievable as it may seem) didn't shock me, or hurt me. In fact I think of it instead as yet another pivotal shift in my life. It was a time where he seemed smaller to me. I had compassion for him because he was missing so much.

I read and the conversation stirs my mind. Part of me gets what your farther says, and as a mother of three, I think having and raising kids is the most amazing accomplishment, a miracle even. I admire how you managed to sort this in your head.
ReplyDeleteI agree w/ Terje about your father and what he said. Maybe the subtext is the idea there’s more for women to do besides being mom. Is he from a generation that limited women? Time matters. My own father died when I was 16, so he missed every huge milestone. He wanted me to be independent.
ReplyDeleteAs much as I have internalized educating and judging myself by my work, I join you in seeing my children as the most important thing I could produce. They are immeasurable, as is their potential in the future. (though I do see teaching as a contribution to the future, as well!)
ReplyDelete