Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Old Wounds

 







    I want to be upfront- I love my siblings.  However, like with all family members we definitely have our ups, and downs. When my mom got sick, and there were four of us, our roles sort of shifted. My oldest sister (seven years older) kind of became a surrogate caregiver, and my brother was deputized as her side-kick. This wasn't something either one sought out by any means. These responsibilities were just kind of thrust upon them, and the kind of personalties that they had, they took them on.

    And so, along with a lot of kind, nurturing responsible acts- came some down, and dirty pranks. Think of it as a sort of rebellion, or even a bit of a push back.

    Out of a pretty good smorgasbord of tricks, one really rose to the top.

     I was the youngest, and tired of being unnoticed, or in my mind, not mattering,  One afternoon I announced to everyone that I was running away. I can see them both laying on their stomachs playing Monopoly. I don't even think they looked up? I put my hand up, and told them there was nothing they could say to stop me. I went to fill my thermos with water and when I returned to the living room I saw that my brother and sister had kindly packed a small suitcase for me, and placed it right by the door. Stung, I quickly realized there was no turning back.

   I shut the front door behind me, only to open it back up about six minutes later to use the restroom.  This time they did looked up from their game and smile.

     I carried my suitcase upstairs quietly.

    

1 comment:

  1. It’s fascinating how family roles can shift during challenging times, often leading to unexpected moments of humor & connection. Your story about running away *only to find your siblings' playful response* perfectly captures the blend of love & mischief that often defines sibling relationships. (I grew up as an only child, but I see so much as a mom of two.)Thank you for sharing this glimpse into your family life.

    ReplyDelete