I don't care what year it is- first days feel like first days. The first day of school is no exception. For me a new lunch box, brand new markers and maybe even a new outfit made a world of difference. And even my first days as a teacher had the same rite of passage. (I'm still a sucker for a new set of Flairs).
I was still running around, my timing was off, studying these new faces and taking those mental notes in my first few hours. My game was slightly off, but I was okay as I knew I just needed to swim through the uncertainty.
But a first day is like no other. I will give it that. It's fresh and it's clean. There is nowhere to go but forward and there is something so exciting and fresh about that. The newness is in the air and we are all silently drinking it in.
When the bell rings everyone files out- some faster than others. Their faces, postures, even the their shoulders seem to belay a release of anxiety. The ride is over.
Until next time.

I share the same type of memory about first days. They feel full of possibility and hope. I’m glad I still felt that way through year 38. Now I think about those early days as a sub and how to set the right tone when I’m in different classrooms. I love that photo. I found some of my old school photos a few days ago. I might share them in the coming weeks.
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to see 'em. The possibilities are palatable in those photos don't u think?
DeleteI mentioned the first school day in a different context, that "reaching consensus about behavior" way. Yours is so much more lovely, brings smiles. (I'm not a Flair fan, but oh I do love all those new supplies!) The photo is precious and so recalls the innocent past in all those faces–and the properly folded hands.❤️
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to read it. TY for sending
DeleteSo many first days in my career! Every year I had some nerves before the day started… Now that I’m retired, I miss them!
ReplyDeleteI know me, too. I live across the street from a school and I love to hear the kid's laughter.
ReplyDeleteOh, first days are great. I was so blessed to be able to have a career that you could start fresh each new school year. It was one of my favorite things. I love "The newness is in the air and we are all silently drinking it in." Beautiful!
ReplyDelete