It doesn't matter how old you get- rejection feels the same. I felt exactly the same way when my picture wasn't posted on the blackboard by Miss Tilley in the third grade as I did when I didn't get a part in "Iphigenia," in college. Yesterdays's rejection email for my very first manuscript brought back those familiar waves.
There was a slight difference. Somehow, the rebuff was colored with an overlying sense of realism. This is REALLY happening, and I am REALLY doing this.
Don't get me wrong- I don't want to paper my walls with these rejection letters but I welcome them. They are one part of my author's journey.
You have a manuscript. You have written a book. This is a massive win. You are on your author's journey. Keep going!
ReplyDeleteYou are quite right, TY. These are picture books for now but I’m creating. ( Morna)
DeleteSeriously, this is AMAZING! Congratulations on your writing accomplishments - and may you continue to persevere. Be proud!!
ReplyDeleteThank- you Maureen! ( Morna)
DeleteI'm about to embark on a journey of writing a book without a contract. (Everything I've published has always been contracted in advance of writing it.) The idea of the forthcoming rejection scares me. However, when those rejections are personalized, we can truly grow from them.
ReplyDeleteGood luck on your continued writing joruney!
Good luck, Stacey! I know you can do it. I am writing picture books for now ( Morna)
DeleteYou will be one unusual author if you don't get a bunch more of those before you get a yes! Keep going! Yes, rejections are rough, but they're part of getting your book out into the world.
ReplyDeleteQuite right Melanie! 😃
Delete