Monday, December 20, 2021

Shiny Brights

 


I still have my parent's ornaments from their first apartment (a fifth story walk up) in New York in the early fifties. I sometimes just stop what I am doing, and just gaze at them absent- mindedly. I  notice them nestled, and shimmering in my tree. Some have flocked writing  (hard to see) while others now wear dull metallic age spots with honor.

    Nothing lasts as long as those Shiny Brights.  Many an ornament set I've bought at either a variety, or drug store has bit the dust yet the Shiny Brights live on. Come to think of it- even some of the Shiny Bright boxes ( although some of them are hanging in pieces) are still miraculously intact.

   I love looking at those ornaments.

8 comments:

  1. I can see these old glass ornaments in my mind, on your tree... I think my grandmother's ornaments from long ago must have been Shiny Brites, too. Now I wonder what became of them. That detail about wearing "dull metallic age spots with honor" is so true - age doesn't take away from the ornaments' beauty. It really is amazing how well the old things last. Incredible that some of those 1950s boxes remain intact! I can imagine the reverence with which you remove them and replace them each year. I can sense all the stories and memories. I imagine the ornaments winking at you amid the twinkling lights. Love this post and Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you hose an object to take you right back to that 5-story walk up And a time so long ago. Memories are so powerful. Thanks for writing this one down and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nostalgia can be found in so many places. I love how your parents' ornaments take you back to both a time and a place of many memories! Thanks for this look into your treasured memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your post - some shiny brights is what the world needs now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your post very much. I have many old ornaments, from my parents, from our early years of marriage, and from our kids. Our oldest are from WEST Germany from my husband's great aunt. I love getting them out each year and gazing at them. Today, I also broke an ornament - a new one as I was buying it in the store. Luckily, my precious old ornaments are safe on the tree. Carol from The Apples in the Orchard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Old ornaments gain meaning with every passing year, for me. Loved this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ornaments tell a beautiful story of holidays past. My kids requested the eclectic variety of ornaments rather than a themed one. It was less stressful and more meaningful. I'm done with themed trees.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such memories in ornaments - The perfect thing to slice about for sure! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete